1 Corinthians 13:1-3

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing ~ 1 Corinthians 13:1-3


I think we all get the idea here is that love is above all other qualities we may have. We have all known eloquent speakers that can lead a group of people and gather them in a common interest. These speakers are powerful people with their words, and can make changes in the world that others only dream about. Whether those changes work for good or evil depends on the love they have in their heart. This love, though, is not just a love for self, it is a love and concern for those around them. One can love oneself and still work evil in the world. Other people may be very prophetic, speaking of what is to come, what God has planned, but if the love of God is not in their heart, what good is it? There is a fine line between having the gift of language and using that gift to encourage and uplift rather than to downgrade and demoralize. There is a fine line between very wise and prophetic and knowledgeable and using those gifts to counsel, advise and warn others in a loving and caring way as opposed to strutting around and being simply a “know-it-all”. Without the love of God in our heart, first and foremost for Him, we cannot love others in the way we are loved by Him. There is only one way to be more than a clanging cymbal, to be someone rather than nothing, to gain great joy and harmony rather than gain nothing. The only way is to have the love of God and Jesus Christ in the heart!

Pastor Julia

image by pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19