Isaiah 61:1, 2

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
because the Lord has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn ~ Isaiah 61:1, 2

When Jesus was grown and beginning His ministry, these were the words He quoted while reading in the temple. Luke records them in Chapter 4:18. They are beautiful words, but only because they were made beautiful by our Saviour, for without His grace, they are mere words. Jesus came to proclaim good news. I think of the stories which impacted me: the woman at the well, the adulterous woman and the men who would stone her. These are just a couple of stories of those whom Jesus impacted with the good news of hope and freedom from their past. And He healed the brokenhearted. I think here of Lazarus raised from the dead, and the little girl too, and how their families were overjoyed at their return to life and health. Jesus came to proclaim freedom for the captives too, and here I think of the rich young ruler who turned that gift down and walked away from Jesus. That still happens today, and it is heartbreaking. My thoughts this morning do not even scratch the bottom of the list for all that Jesus did to bring this prophetic word into reality. When I think of Him I am overwhelmed at His power to bring healing to those who come to Him and seek. When I think of these words I think of my life, and how He brought them into a reality for me, and my heart wells up in gratitude for His love and care. Ponder this Scripture today in your heart. What stories does it lead you to think about and how did Jesus bring this about in your life?
Devotion by Pastor Julia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19