John 13:14


Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet ~ John 13:14

Jesus, thank you for showing me what servanthood looks like. In this world in which we live, it seems everyone looks to serving themselves first. It is a “Me” generation. What are my opinions about others? Well, if I don’t like them, they will know it! What are my thoughts about my boss, or my teacher, or my parents? “Let me tell you, for I am superior to you” is the reigning model of living. Jesus, who calls himself “Lord” and “Teacher” is far superior to His disciples, of which I am one, yet, He took a basin of water and stooping down washed their feet. He is the perfection of humility and love. The idea does not stop at foot washing, but at any service a fellow human being may need. I need to live like I “owe” something to the other, that is what it is to be a servant. Our payment then, or our service, is not done out of regret, but out of the spirit of giving back. This is not a scripture which says we ought to literally wash each other’s feet, for I never read about the disciples doing this to each other after the resurrection of Christ, but it is more about performing whatever we can do to assist a fellow believer be pure and clean by showing a love which reaches down to the lowest of duties to serve. This is the opposite of “climbing the ladder” of success, it is to honour another above yourself in preference to them.
Devotion by Pastor Julia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19