Galatians 5:1


It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery ~ Galatians 5:1

Stand fast, be firm, and unwavering in your freedom! But what is Paul talking about here? To understand this, we have to go back to the previous chapter. When Paul wrote this letter, it was not sectioned off, but when our Bible was put together, verses were formed, and chapters continued that separation of his words. The sense is that they were to be firm and steadfast in the principles of Christian living, to remain free from the rites and ceremonies. Rites, rituals, lock us and bind us. We become fearful that if we do not perform that rite, we will fall out of favour, which leads to works being our way to salvation. Christ died for us and in that we live in His grace, rather than by works. We don’t work to be loved, but we work because we are loved. When we obey a law out of duty and works, however good that law may be, it still carries a sense of confining and contraction.  If I have received Christ into my heart, I know all my joy comes from Him, and I love Him, and my first desire is to please Him, to follow Him, to be like Him, and to be with Him. My life then becomes a life of love. In obeying Him, I obey myself, for God said that His laws would be written on my heart. To be free in Him means we are set free, we are not justified in following the law, but through Christ’s atonement on the cross; we are free to serve God from a heart of devotion.
Devotion by Pastor Julia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19