John 15:13

Greater love has no one that this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends ~ John 15:13

It is hard to think about giving up one’s life to save another’s, for we highly value living! I have watched people in the processes of death, and they fight hard for every breath to keep them alive! We do not give up our life easily! We labour and strive for just one more intake of sustaining air to enter our lungs! We fight death to the end! So, for the one who is so willing to give up his life for another, he is giving up all he has! There are many things I would do for my loved ones, but I have to admit, it would certainly be a process to come to the point of giving up my life. But, perhaps that is because I have never been faced with this scenario. I know I would easily give up a part of my body if it would help another’s life be saved, but, give up my life? We have read of those who have done so…a police officer many years ago comes to my mind. He jumped in a raging river to save a child that had been swept into its current. The child was saved. He gave his life. Most certainly people in persecuted countries have given their life to save another, they were willing to die for their friends. But the experiences I have heard about are rare. Life is the most valuable object we may possess, and when one is willing to lay that life down for friend or country, it shows the fullest extent of love. And, it enhances what Christ did for us as he willingly went to the Cross for you and me. He gave himself up not only to the suffering before he reached the cross, but the pain and agony of the Cross itself! It was a merciless way to die! But for His great love he gave himself up, not to just common suffering, but to the most bitter, painful and long-drawn-out of sorrows, all for a thoughtless and unbelieving world! His love is unparalleled! No greater love is there than His! 
Devotion by Pastor Julia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19