Luke 6:36


Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful ~ Luke 6:36

I cry out for mercy! I plead for mercy! Mercy before God is the one great cry which rises up from all humanity, “Be merciful Lord, for I am a sinner!” I look to Him, for justice, yes, but more for mercy upon my soul. And, He has compassion upon me, He helps me and supports me; He forgets my injuries toward Him and pardons me freely. He hears my cry and does good to me, sinner though I am. And this He does for all His children, all who come to Him in truth and repentance. And, if this is what we receive from our God, our Father in heaven, how can we not show mercy and loving-kindness to our fellow human being? How can we ask forgiveness unless we forgive? God most certainly forgives us, and how great a debt is that which we owe? There is a reward in mercy which only mercy can bring. Every act of loving-kindness comes back to us, every kind word, every forgiven injury all returns in its good time. Crittenden wrote the following: “When God, in His eternal counsel, conceived the thought of man’s creation, He called to Him the three ministers who wait constantly upon His throne--Justice, Truth, and Mercy--and thus addressed them: “Shall we make man?” Then said Justice, “O God! make him not: for he will trample upon Thy laws.” Truth made answer also, “O God! make him not, for he will pollute Thy sanctuaries.” But Mercy, dropping upon her knees, and looking up through her tears, exclaimed, “O God! make him. I will watch over him with my care through all the dark paths which he may have to tread.” Then God made man, and said to him, “O man! thou art the child of Mercy: go and deal with thy brother.” (Crittenden.)
Be merciful, then, my friends, for our Father in heaven is merciful!
Devotion by Pastor Julia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19