Luke 9:24


For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it ~ Luke 9:24

This is an interesting verse, for the last time I lost something, I did not choose to willingly surrender it to the abyss of wherever. In fact, the last time I lost something, I searched diligently to reclaim it. In this verse, to lose one’s life is a complete giving up, a total surrender, but it is not done out of carelessness or mismanaging that life, it is given up with the will of the one losing it! It is a willing and deliberate act to lose one’s life. So, in giving up my life, what exactly am I giving up? First, I am surrendering to Jesus Christ my body for His use. Where He leads, I will follow, what He asks me to do, I will do. My body is no longer mine. Second, I give up my love of the world and its rewards and accomplishments, and instead I take up thinking about things above – it’s the acronym, WWJD, (What Would Jesus Do) of my life. To lose my life means that I will quit thinking about me, and think about something or someone else. It is not an easy choice. It may cut some off from those influences of daily life which elevate them in this world. It may involve persecution, suffering, and possibly death. That decision though, would lead to eternal life guaranteed. To save my life here means eternal death after. It’s not really a tough decision to make after all!
Devotion by Pastor Julia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19