Philippians 4:13


I can do all this through him who gives me strength ~ Philippians 4:13

We sometimes misinterpret this verse to think it says that anything I want to do, Jesus will give me the strength to do. This is not what this verse was intended to say, for Paul the Apostle was not omnipotent, and neither are we, even with the power of Christ. Neither could Paul, nor can we, do everything Jesus did. We are very human, and we are very limited in any type of comparison to Jesus Christ. What Paul is talking about is the contentment he could find in every state of life. Whether he was living in adversity, or was living in prosperity, he was content knowing that God would give him the strength and courage to make it through whatever was handed to him. Even if he was to undergo persecution, through the strength Christ gave him, he would be able to bear up under the pressure. And, if Christ directed him to a specific duty to perform, that too Paul would accomplish through Christ’s power. This is not vanity, it is not self-reliance, and it is not performing any action he himself desired, but acknowledgment that any power he would have would have to come from the Lord alone. I know there are aspects of my life I never dreamed I would accomplish by my own power. But because Christ has called me to it, whatever that might be, He has enabled me. Do I make mistakes? Absolutely! Do I sometimes need help from others to accomplish what God calls me to do? The answer again is yes! Those, though, are people God seems to have set in place to help me to accomplish what He desires. If we say “yes” to his call, he will enable us to accomplish, to overcome, to bear with whatever should come our way in following him. Then we too, like Paul, can say, “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19