Proverbs 18:10


The name of the Lord is a fortified tower, the righteous run to it and are safe ~ Proverbs 18:10

A name generally, will only distinguish an individual. I can be called out of a crowd because of my name – when I am called, I answer, I respond, I will come to you. It does not however, describe who I am or what I believe in, for there are others with my name. They do not think, or feel, or know what I know. Because they have the same name as I do does not mean they are alike in all mannerism and thought. Sometimes a name will describe as well as distinguish, and then their significance is increased mightily. The name of God is descriptive, for it describes his character. The Lord, in what we know of him, for we do not know him completely, is full of compassion, ready to forgive, slow to anger yet also pure and righteous, not clearing the guilty. He is merciful and full of grace, and loves us beyond any love we may know or have known. These character traits are what we run to in times of trouble. Not only do we run, but we are exalted in him. When one enters a tower, usually there are stairs leading to the top, and from the bottom we begin the long trek upwards. Until at last we reach the top and there we look down upon what now seems puny and minute. We have climbed above the danger, above the arrow that now cannot reach us. We are now safe. This is what it is to run to the name of the Lord, for here in his name we find the haven we have been searching for.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19