PSALM 3:5, 6


I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me. I will not fear though tens of thousands assail me on every side ~ Psalm 3:5, 6

Many years ago, I was getting myself out of a psychologically abusive relationship. Words like these, which I read from the Scriptures, were ones I clung to for assurance and confidence in the God who had opened my eyes to truth. Those were hard times, but I believed in what the Word was saying to me. I was a new Christian, and so I needed these words to ring true, I needed to know that I was believing in a God who would sustain me. He did. I had only one “enemy”, not tens of thousands, but it was enough to challenge me. It is difficult getting out of abuse, it is challenging to accept that has been one’s lot in life. I thought I was strong, could do it all on my own, but when I found Jesus, I discovered I was weak, feeble, and unable to help myself. It was a scary time in my life, but every day I seemed to gain strength through His mighty power. He enabled me to reach each day for new prospects and new hope. I had the confidence that God heard my prayers, and I placed my confidence in Him alone. In essence, I could lay down at night and not fear; I could lay down and sleep securely in the knowledge that even though I did not understand or know what my outcome might be, He did. David here is persecuted by his own son, an exile, driven from his throne and home. David was in the company of only a few friends while being pursued by thousands. Yet under all this anxiety, he had confidence in the God who had called him. On his dreadful night, David was able to lay down calmly and sleep. Is your trust in God so much that you too can lay down at night, no matter the turmoil around you? I certainly pray so, for I know I serve a God whom not only allows me to sleep, but awakens me in safety.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19