Philippians 2:3

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves ~ Philippians 2:3

How often this rule is violated. How often do Christian’s try to out-best each other, to see who is the greatest? How often is the secret aim to outdo others? This verse is a command which forbids us to do anything out of strife. We are not to gain advantage over others by physical strength, or superiority, or schemes planned by rivalry. What we are to do is always be truthful and glorify God. Our angry passions are not to rule us, and we are not to boast in our talent, courage or zeal. Our vanity is our downfall. If we are out to honour ourselves and to attract attention to win praise, we are out of line. We are not the main object, nor should we ever be. Selfishness is not to be our motive. Instead, we are to live modestly and with humble attitudes. This means we estimate ourselves according to truth and be willing to take the place we ought to, which is that we are insignificant before others. Now, some people think humility means I will be a “door mat” for others, that they can do what they want to me because I have no worth. In fact, it is the opposite. What it means is that I do value myself. I know my own weaknesses and strengths; I know my own heart and I know my own impurity. I can look within. When I look at others though, I choose humility. I choose to place them above me and desire they be preferred. When we choose to see through proper evaluation how a brother or sister is endowed in ways I am not, then we see their gifts and their strengths, and we enhance their regard for themselves. In turn, we are enhanced in regard by others and our self. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19