Acts 3:6

Then Peter said, “Silver or gold I do not have, but what I do have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk” ~ Acts 3:6

 

It was customary for those who entered the temple to carry money with them, so the poor who sat at the gate knew that was where to position themselves to receive alms. But here, Peter is in the same position, for he has no money to give this man who is asking. What Peter does have though is the authority of Jesus Christ. Peter mentions “Nazareth”, for it was the name by which Christ had been known, and assuredly this man had heard of this Jesus. Healing comes in the name of Jesus and no other. As a disciple of Christ, not one of us in our modern day can claim to have the power of healing by our own power. Healing is not ours to give but by the name of Jesus Christ. Then, there is the other important issue brought out here, for I, like Peter, do not walk around with cash. In this day of debit and credit cards, cash is not at the ready for me to give away to those who stand on our streets asking for alms. Neither do I offer them healing in the name of Jesus Christ. I wonder at that phenomenon in myself, and perhaps you do too. My solution is to do something practical, like go and buy a meal for the person that seems to need. Yet, there are also those I pass by, just as many would have passed this man by. And that makes me wonder at my character. Sympathy is meaningless for the hungry person that stands in front of me. What would happen I wonder, if I offered the next person who asked of me the gift of Jesus Christ? If He is all I have to offer, is that enough to bring aid to that one in front of me?

Pastor Julia

image: Zac Durant


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19