Matthew 6:21

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also ~ Matthew 6:21

 

The last several days, my devotions have centered on wealth, material wealth. Yesterday, I left us with a question: Is offering Jesus to the one in front of us enough when they are in need? Today, we come to the true heart of the whole matter: where your treasure is. When our treasure is found in God, our heart will be in the right place. Our affection and desires will be on those things which come from above. No matter who we are, or our station in life, our heart is in peril if it is not centered on Jesus. Our heart is in danger every day of being deceived by the world, by focusing on worldly possessions rather than the possession of the heart by finding the true and only God and the value of being a child of the King. When I place my “treasure” in worldly things, in those things which I put away for tomorrow, there is a block in my meeting the needs of those around me. What I want instead is to hoard and protect my “treasure.” I cannot see beyond my treasure, even when there is someone in front of me with a need that my earthly treasure can bring aid to and help relieve their distress. Peter gave the crippled man healing in the name of Jesus. Peter had no money, and instead he gave the man the means to provide for himself rather than begging (Acts 3:6). I too can provide a meal, though I may not have the money in my pocket. Instead of handing money to a person, buy a hamburger, or donate to a charity which feeds the homeless, but do something practical. And, also do something spiritual – pray for them. Pray they will be enabled to find a job, or if you are creative and inspired, ask for God to show you how you can make work for someone so they will become a provider and not a receiver. My treasure, when it is placed in God’s hands, will become then a delight, not only to myself, but to others as well.

Pastor Julia

image: Michael Dziedzic


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19