Psalm 77:11

I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your miracles of long ago ~ Psalm 77:11

 

There is a great deal that lies behind me I would rather not remember. Some parts of my existence are chaotic, other parts are hurtful, and others can find no logical explanation. They were events though that formed me into who I am today, though I would prefer they had not taken place. Every present moment becomes a past. Every future becomes something I hope in as I carry my past into my future. If I, if we, forget our past we are likely to re-enact it in the future, that is a well-known fact. It has happened to the human race over and over again. In this way, I am unlike God, though I may have been made in His image. For Him, time has no yesterday or tomorrow, for it is “one eternal Now”. We cannot even consider what this means, for it is beyond our thinking. The psalmist wants us to meditate upon this aspect of God, and to reflect upon our own memories, the good and the bad. He wants us to remember the joyful and the sad, the excited moments and the doldrums of stagnation. In all these past thoughts, when we reflect, the lovingkindness of the Lord swells up to the surface of our thoughts. I can remember when I went through…and God turned that into…! I can remember when I felt alone, and I cried out to God, and He sent…! I can remember when I was lost in deep pain and somehow God turned that into great… I can also remember when I turned my back on God, and feel remorse, and mourn those thoughts. I would not be a faithful Christ follower if I did not. It is in my recollection though, that I can speak out for Christ, that I can call others to hear about what He has done for me! If I do not remember, I cannot witness! The “miracles of long ago” sustain me in my future, as I will encounter more difficult days. It will be the grace and blessings given to me in my past which will support and encourage me in my future.

Pastor Julia

image: Nick Fewings


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19