1 Thessalonians 5:15

Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:15

 

Do you ever get so angry with someone that all you can think of is how to get back at them for hurting you? Usually, that is why we do get so angry…we have been hurt somehow in our inner man. Often times, it is due to our background, or how we were raised, or due to past hurts which then exasperate our feelings at that present time. This is hard for us to see though, for our feelings take over, and anger and resentment set in. If we could only settle ourselves to think of this verse, how much more hurt in this world would not occur! This is a positive law…do what is good, even in the midst of your pain and hurt! Boy, it is sure hard to set ourselves aside, even for a moment sometimes, but this is exactly what we have to do. I am not talking about belittling oneself, but about setting aside our pride and vanity. Ugh! That is so destructive while at the same time so powerful! If I can think though, of another above myself, so as to do what is good and right for them, I would be amazed at how my feelings of anger would dissipate into the blessing of goodness. It matters not if my actions are in the home or out of the home, whether they are in politics or religion, I can unite others in goodwill faster than I can with anger and wrongdoing. My character will be built up, I will be encouraged and strengthened, my aim will be high rather than low if I can put aside the feeling that I have to get you back. Too often today we read or hear about people who are hurting others physically, mentally, and spiritually. The cry is, “What’s in it for me?” We would be better to cry, “How can I help you?” or “What can I do for you?” It is a striving, for it goes against our inner nature to “do good to others.” We who are Christ followers know though, how much Christ did for us. He did not pay us back for what we did to Him…we nailed Him to a tree! Instead, He desires to have communion with us, to love us, heal us, bless us! Can we do any less for another human being?

Pastor Julia

image: Clay Banks


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19