Hebrews 13:5, 6

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.     What can mere mortals do to me?” ~ Hebrews 13:5, 6

 

Some versions of the Bible say to keep your conversations free of covetousness. It is just a different way of saying that our lives should be free from the lusts which so prominently surround us in this day in which we live. The thrust of this verse is to trust in God for all we need in life, for He is our provider. When we long for the “more” to satisfy our wants rather than depending upon God for our needs our faith is divided between Him and the world. When we live in constant longing for more, we are never satisfied with what we have. We become anxious, stressed, unhappy, and dissatisfied with everything and everyone. Trusting in God to provide for our needs gives us greater confidence in His faithfulness toward us.  When we depend upon Him, our words reflect that He is our helper, that none could have done for us what He has done to provide. This brings glory to God, who is our Maker and Provider. The Apostle Paul knew what it was to depend upon the Lord for all as he wrote in Philippians 4:12, 13: “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” He continues in 4:19: “And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus.” He has learned to depend upon God for all things…can we do any less? In God we trust for He will watch over you, He will not let your foot slip, He will watch over you by day and by night, over your coming and your going, now and forever (Psalm 121). Trust in Him.

Pastor Julia

image: engin akyurt

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19