Isaiah 61:1

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners ~ Isaiah 61:1

 

This scripture is an important one in my life, for it was given to me three times in assurance that I was being called into pastoral ministry. I thought I was heading to be a missionary in another country, but God had other plans, and behind the pulpit with a congregation I am, and it is now my mission field. In this verse of Isaiah, the Jews were still captives in Babylon. It is also a prophetic word about the coming Messiah, for it is the message in Luke which Jesus spoke, and which called to me. The proclamation is one we can read in our day and exclaim over its meaning. We look around our world at those who in the USA and even here in Canada, and I can say with authority, all over the world, have been ostracized because of their heritage. Whether that is a person of colour, religion, or race, or…well, you can name it, people have been persecuted and held in bondage. Captive to the stronger, the bolder, and the master have been those who were and are weaker. Here though is good news! The world is a twisted place, a painful place for many, this is true, but what is also true is that no matter what the world does to someone, all, ALL are free in Christ Jesus. We have not reached the place in this world where all are free in each other, but we are free in Jesus! He can heal our inner brokenness, He can liberate us from the emotions of others and the impact they have on our life, He will release us from the darkness of oppression. Even if it does not happen in this life, in the life to come we will be free! Jesus died for that event to happen. Our Redeemer came to bring a joyful message to us all, no matter our life experiences, no matter our nationality, no matter our colour of skin, no matter our pain and hurt. Jesus came for you, just as He came for me!

Pastor Julia

image: Daniel Mingkook Kim


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19