James 3:13

 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let them show it by their good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom ~ James 3:13


James has three prerequisites for good leadership: wisdom, good life and deeds, and humility. I have had a few good mentors over the years, but when I think back, the one which taught me the most was during my early years as I was going through seminary. My pastor at the time was a man which emulated all these characteristics. Through his leadership I grew and would even admit that I was brought into greater healing through his kindness, his faithfulness to the Lord, and the Spirit of God within him. I will always hold Rev. Dr. Dan Gibson high in my esteem as the kind of man James is talking about here. Leadership is not always found in the pulpit of a church though. It is one place, but not the only place. Men and women who serve God in their many ways have the opportunity to mentor others, whether they are young people, or not. How we choose to lead will make others see Christ in us, or not. If we are overbearing, self-righteous, proud, and controversial in our life-style we can in no way emulate the Lord Jesus to our followers. Christ was God, yet He was not proud. Christ was God yet He would touch the unclean. Christ was God yet He taught by giving greater insight into truth. Christ is God yet He draws us continually forward through His Holy Spirit who transforms us into His likeness. If we want to emulate wisdom, good life and deeds, and humility, we need look only to Jesus for our example. He is our greatest mentor! Follow His teaching and you will be the person James speaks of here in verse 13.

Pastor Julia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19