Matthew 6:11

Give us today our daily bread ~ Matthew 6:11


Sometimes our prayers go up to God seeking what we want, desiring what our heart lusts after. Our attitude is “give me, give me, give me!” We are like children when our parents ask us what we want for our birthday or for Christmas. We jump up and down and exclaim that we want the latest Barbie, or video game! The biggest and the best is what we want! And God does not respond to our prayer and we think, “What kind of God is he that would not give me what I asked for?” God does not give us everything. He is not like a compliant parent which gives in and spoils the child, fulfilling their every desire. This part of the prayer of Jesus gives us an indication of how we should come before God and pray. “Give us today our daily bread, give us what we need to help us grow, to sustain us, to keep us healthy, that is what I seek from you, God.” The prayer is not asking for the whole loaf, but just what is needed for the day. Jesus teaches we ought to pray specifically, and not generally, and our prayers are our requests made to our loving God who does want his children to be blessed and happy. Jesus said, “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened (Matthew 7:7, 8). You see, the Lord does desire to fulfill your prayer request, but the prayer, the heart attitude, and the Lord’s will, determines the answer. I know we do not always understand when the answer is “no”, or “not now”. I know we may question the why not. I also know the Lord knows what is best for me and for those I pray for, and my trust is in him. Prayer is a key to the storeroom of need, not lust; of relationship with him, and not a “wish tank”. Prayer is conversation with a heavenly Father who will give you your bread for the day.

Pastor Julia

image by pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19