Fourth Sunday of Lent

FOUTH SUNDAY OF LENT

Creating Space For Compassion

For by grace you have been saved through faith and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God – not the result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8, 9

In the house of God there are many mansions. There is a place for everyone – a unique, special place. Once we deeply trust that we ourselves are precious in God’s eyes, we are able to recognize the preciousness of others and their unique places in God’s heart. This makes me think of Helen. One of our handicapped members of our community. When she came to Daybreak a few years ago, I felt quite distant from her, even a bit afraid. She lived in a little world of her own, only uttering distracting noises and never making any personal contact. But as we came to know her better and trusted that she, too, has a unique gift to offer, she gradually came out of her isolation, started to smile at us and became a great source of joy to the whole community. I now realize that I had to be in touch with my own goodness to discover the unique goodness of Helen. As long as my self-doubts and fears guided me, I couldn’t create the space for Helen to reveal to me her beauty.

Lord, you know how hard it is for me to love certain people. Help me to see how you love them – and teach me how to do it, too.

Henri J. M. Nouwen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19