John 15:7

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you ~ John 15:7


This almost makes Jesus sound like a Santa Claus figure. I sit on his knee and ask for whatever I want, and my wish is granted. Sounds grand, doesn’t it? What do I want today? A giant boat, a new car, how about a new house? In this high turnover housing market, I certainly cannot buy one on my own, so maybe, if I ask, Jesus will get it for me – free! How shallow are these words, even as I write them. The secret to getting whatever we wish and having it done for us is in the relationship with Jesus. IF I remain in him…step one. My relationship has to be real; it has to be ongoing, it has to be deep. For when it is, my heart becomes his heart, and my desires are streamlined toward his desires. Step 2 – his word must remain in me. I cannot go off on a tangent of my own but must read what the Bible tells me. From there I learn about love, compassion, forgiveness, justice, hope, eternity. If I do not know what God has to say to me, how can I even respond in a relationship? When we have friends, we talk things through, we share our worlds, our problems, our hopes, and our joys. Then, when we need help, our friend is there at the ready to do what we need. Jesus is our friend, and so our friendship must contain all the aspects an earthly friendship contains, except our friendship with him is holy, it is pure, it is submitting to him and dying to self. Perhaps that is the real secret…dying to our wants and asking for our real needs. Then, what we wish is for the healing of a friend, a safe home for an abused woman, food on the table for a struggling friend, or a safe night for a homeless man. Jesus hears our wishes.

Pastor Julia

image by pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19