Romans 8:39

 …Neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord ~ Romans 8:39


The other day, I saw a homeless man who was bent over, standing in an ally by my home. He was leaning over from the waist, mumbling to himself, which made me wary, for it indicated to me a mental health problem. I was out for a walk with my dog at the time, and I prayed, “Lord, if he is still there when I return, let me go over and see if he needs help.” He was there when I returned, and I discovered as I went near to him, that he had an injury on his back and on his leg. It was his leg he had been bending over to attend. I went into my apartment and found some gauze and bandages and made him a couple of sandwiches, which then opened a conversation with him. We started to talk, and he asked me if I knew his mom. He was a very elderly man, so I knew his mom was probably dead. I said I did not know her, but since we had been talking about God and church, I said “She must have taken you to church.” He said, yes, but that God did not care for him. Our conversation from then on was a bit disjointed due to his mental health condition, but the main thought he had was that God had abandoned him, and could not, nor would not love him. I cannot even imagine the life he lives on the streets, but I said, perhaps it was God that sent me to him, to help his sores, and to give him something to eat. I assured him that God loves everyone…and I do believe that. I left him shortly after having had a prayer with him. I do not know where he went, but I do believe that God will protect him as I asked. How many people believe that God has left them, and that God could no longer love and care for them because of who they are or what they may, or may not, have done? My heart breaks for those who doubt the love of God. There is nothing which can separate us from his love. This man knew God loved him once. I pray that as he left me, he felt the hand of God upon him once more. We are the hands and feet of Jesus. Let the Lord lead you to where you can be of help to someone, and assure them there is nothing which can separate us from God’s love.

Pastor Julia

image by pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19