Matthew 6:7, 8

And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him ~ Matthew 6:7, 8


This verse was written when the temple in Jerusalem was the place where all went to pray, and they would stand, as they do now at what is left of it, the “wailing wall”, and utter their prayers aloud. Jesus knew that some kept repeating themselves and did so with a loud voice and many words so that people would notice them, and of course, think them important. Jesus says we don’t need to do that. I recall my early days of training for ministry, and my supervising pastor would ask me to lead in the pastoral prayer for the church service. I was still so very shy then, and to pray aloud was very stressful. I just could not impromptu stand and pray, especially in front of and for a congregation. It took me a long time, and many written prayers, to be able to pray out loud and in front of people. I judged myself (at odd times, I still do) about the content of my prayers, but I know deep down in my heart that does not matter. What really matters is that I pray from my heart and utter the words the Lord wants to hear from me. It is not that I need to pray for him to know my needs, for this verse and others assure me that God already knows. That gives me confidence as I come before him. It is a step forward in being able to pray aloud, and not all need to do so, but when we are in leadership, it is a good inspiration for others to follow suit. It can be a challenge, yes, but it is also a way to grow in our Christian faith, for it takes great dependence on God, and faith in him to pray aloud. He wants to hear our heart; he wants to attend to our needs.

Pastor Julia

image by pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19