2 Corinthians 9:7

Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver ~ 2 Corinthians 9:7


I have heard many say that we need no longer give 10% as a tithe, and I think this verse is one that has caused that belief to happen, for it can easily be misread. That is a problem with taking a verse out of context and reading only it without the verses which surround it. I have been in positions where I could not give much financially, but I did give what I could from my finances. I also did whatever I could do for my church and for God. Whatever lowly need there was, I would do it, and do it gladly. At that time, we used the hymn book, and I would put up the hymn numbers on the board for the organist, I would help clean the church washrooms, I would do whatever was needed to help. But, when my finances improved, I knew they were given to me because of the Lord’s goodness to me, and I gave out of my love for him, and I tithed 10%. The beginning of this chapter reminds us that though we may decide in our heart what to give, “Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously” (vs. 6). If we have the finances and are stingy with God, our supplies from the Great Supplier will not be increased. I am not talking prosperity here, but God does reward when we are generous. It may not be financially, but our dedication to him is rewarded, and he will bless us. I have seen it for myself. When I was struggling financially and helped in any way I could, by the end of the year my income was far shorter than my expenses, yet I had not gone into debt nor missed a payment. I could not explain it then, nor could I now. But I know it was true. God gave me what I needed because I was faithful with what I had to give. And, I gave out of a heart of love to him.

Pastor Julia

image by pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19