Psalm 23:4

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me ~ Psalm 23:4


Who of us has not walked through the darkness found in life at some point or another? Every one of us has found themselves there. It is a lonely place, a hard place to travel through, and often we may feel we are the only one in that situation, whatever it may be. The psalmist, David, says he fears no evil in the darkest valley, for his complete trust is found in his God. I can’t say I have never felt fear, for the results of my experience(s) were not yet visible, yet eventually my heart would gain strength and turn to full reliance on my God. Even when the darkness surrounded me, and there were not yet any answers, I too trusted that God knew what he was doing, though I did not. David says his protection came from the rod and staff of comfort. For a shepherd to carry this meager piece of equipment meant he could both fight to protect his sheep, as well as take them around the neck with the crooked end to draw them close and away from danger. I look back over my life, and my family’s life, and I can name many dark valleys, yet not one of those valleys kept us as prisoners in the throes of evil. I can see God’s mighty hand on our lives, protecting and guiding us through the dark valley. The darkness was still there, for God did not take us out of the valley, but he watched our footsteps as we walked through it to the other side. My family is blessed, not because we were able to avoid the dark night, but because we walked out into the light with God beside us. He is my comfort and my protector.

Pastor Julia

image by pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19