Matthew 5:16

In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven ~ Matthew 5:16


A light brightens the space in which it is placed, casting the shadows of darkness away from it. I love the light! I love big windows that let in light and the brightness of the sun which brings with it its warmth. When I lived in one part of Nova Scotia I virtually lived in the fog as I was near the Atlantic. I know it affected some people there, and I know it affected me. All I had to do was drive a mere fifteen minutes inland and the cloud that surrounded me lifted and the bright sunlight that could not be seen was plainly visible. It was as though a wall of fog surrounded that area. It was dull, and depressing, and dark. Jesus told us not to hide our light, the light we have received from him. We are to let it shine and brighten the lives of others. It does not mean we put on a false front, for we can all have a down day here and there, and some deal with great depression due to medical reasons. I do not deny them that. The light of Jesus shines in our heart when we surrender our life to him, and we are filled with his Holy Spirit. This coming Sunday is Advent Three – Joy. Joy is not the same as happiness, for happiness is and can be fleeting. Joy is the inner sense that God has a plan for us, that God can and will work through us as his light. We share that light when we do not just the big things for others, but even the little things. If I help someone by holding a door open, or if I help them get out of the collection agency my light shines in their life. A Band-Aid can bring the light of the Saviour into another’s life. However you can, bring light into the world and the lives of others through your little acts of light in a world of darkness. All the glory belongs to the one who brought us into his light of life!

Pastor Julia

image by pixabay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Proverbs 18:2

Romans 8:26

Isaiah 43:19